Friday, July 22, 2011

My Mind's Eye Blog Challenge #25 - Layout

Hi, again!  Here's another post for today.  This one is for the MME Layout Challenge #25. The theme is "Celebration." 

I've made a layout of my eldest's 5th birthday celebration in his class, hence the big number 5 on it :)

Here it is:

Title:  5th Birthday



But first, a little story behind making this.  I've partially laid out the page and had been confident to finish it earlier than i thought, what with putting only the journaling, title and some embellishments i've already planned in my mind.

That morning, i've just brought my eldest to school when our dear helper called me.  My heart skipped a scary beat when she mentioned my youngest's name and i was like nervously scanning her voice with just the important keywords...page...Distress Ink...stamp...LOL!  Was terribly relieved!  It turns out that while our helper was preparing milk which my youngest has asked for, said youngest then headed to the desk where this page has been on.  I've left there all the materials making this page confident that they would not be "especially interested."  Oh, yeah, my little one has been interested alright!  Have a look:


So, i've to think how to cover up the stamped areas.  I decided not to go through the whole length of covering up every little area since i'd just stress myself out.  And i keep telling myself that am doing this for the memory, and not especially for the prize (but thoughts of choosing which MME line i'd get are really tempting).  So, in the end, you can still see the "stampings" and it doesn't bother me much.  I even included it in the journaling :)

Here are some close-ups:
 Clockwise from Top Left:  Journaling spot- cover; journaling spot - second page; journaling spot - third page; journaling spot - base; the number 5 with Stickles on the edges.  I had to make it a very big number 5 to cover the stamped areas.

Bottom left:  cover of mini album;  bottom right:  unfolded accordion album.

It turns out that, thanks to the "happy accident" my youngest son has made, i was able to put more photos than i originally intended (with the accordion album covering up the reds under it) and am happy with my journaling spot (it turned out like a mini book heehee!).  i know it's not prize-worthy, given the sketch provided, but am more than happy with the final outcome.  What's important, and i keep telling myself this when i start getting stressed, is to document the memory, the event.  Karen Grunberg's Big Picture class Embrace Imperfection really help me a whole lot when i prepare my layouts.  If you think you overthink about it too, you might try to visit/sign-up (it's free!) *HERE*.

Material list:
The following are all from My Mind's Eye - patterned papers (Be Loved); die cuts (Lime Twist, Be Loved); ribbon (Stella and Rose), alpha stickers (Lime Twist).
Others:  photo turns (7Gypsies), brads, Stickles (Ranger), glue (Helmar).

Would love to know what you think :)

Thanks very much for dropping by!

-Mayol

No comments: